Thursday, February 26, 2009

A pat on my back

Everytime a couple from my class define their birth as empowering, I feel pride in the work I do. As I looked at this healthy 4 kg + baby in my arms, and back at the bone tired but happy mom and an insanely thrilled dad, I felt good. This couple was from my class. knowing that I am doula they wanted me to be with them at the time of birth. Due to personal reasons (kids exams a big reason) I could not commit to them. However, i assured them that at any time they needed reassuarance or support I was available on the phone.

Mom was induced wednesday morning. She was 41 weeks plus. As she called me the evening before, I had one thing to say to her. Keep your eyes off the clock for at least 12 hours, think of this as a day spa ... eat, drink and rest. At the time she said "oh, I thought I would be instantaneous" Well it wasn't. While something छोटा मोटा did happen all day, it was'nt significant. We talked many times during the day. I kept reinforcing that she should rest, relax, eat and drink. It was around two at night that her bags leaked and right after that the birth business got underway. This mom could'nt settle down at all through the night. Her contractions were most bearable when she was standing.
She called me this morning at 6:30. She was tired, but still could'nt be comfortable sitting. She said that she was fully effaced and the baby was at -1. So I asked how much dilated and she said oh thats not so much, there is time. In my mind I was thinking... well she does'nt sound like earlyish at all.. In fact she sounds almost ready. And she sounds somewhat tight ... tight like tired tense closing up, giving up kind of tight.

So I said take warm shower and if you cant sit.. get on all fours rest your upper body on the ball. I believe she took both my suggestion. Her husband said she would'nt move out of the warm shower till she ran out of hot water. And then she actually was able to catch a nap leaning on the ball.
The pushing was long drawn... but as they recounted their experience it was a pleasure to know that I was a part of this couple's birth. That my classes made them confident. I think that is a measure of success for the class I teach. I thank them for their effort and faith, and sharing their joy with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment