Sunday, June 26, 2016

The Independents !!!

From the time I had my own kids, there is this idea of an baby who is independent. Like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, I have yet to see one. No one actually has. 
The formula is the magic potion the transform human babies into independent babies. No other mammal has that potential, only humans. 

There are many benefits to starting just one TOP feed apparently. 
1. Baby will get used to the bottle
2. Baby will be well fed and sleep better 
.
.
. It is quite a list 
But the best of them all 
Baby will become independent ...

One very frustrated day, I decided to test the independent baby theory. Just to clarify, I wasn't frustrated with the baby or breastfeeding. That was going great and wonderful. I was frustrated with the top feed advice coming hard and fast every time the baby so as much moved. I got a new bottle and formula and sat on the dinning table with my baby. After seeing me sitting there for an hour or so, every one began to gather around asking what was wrong. 

It is said I had an evil smile on my face, when I said, well, I am waiting for the baby to get his food ... It's Top feed aka formula and let's see when he will sterilise the bottle, boil the water and get his feed...

I guess everyone avoided me after that except my dad, he found it hilarious. He is a baby friendly person. 

Well that was that ... 

When I went to work with new moms and baby, it was the same thing over and over again. This advice to make the baby independent was all over the place. As I sat with this mum in her room I saw the mother and the mother in law hovering around, the young mom looked at them for help, care, assurance, love and I wondered... We depend on our mothers' families all our life... We as adults are not independent of them. In fact, we are depending on our 'mother' for advice and support for making our child independent.... 



2 comments: